16 March 2010

Everyday Life: General Studies 450

Paris, August 16th 2009 -- March 16th 2010. Exactly seven months ago, I was gathering up my life in San Diego, setting everything straight, stressing about my French Visa and countless other things that loomed over my head, burning bright on my 'to-do list' before flying off to France. Today I write this in a way as to reflect on the past seven months, my world, my life, and my personality as a whole being altered in a way that no other experience could have done.

Yesterday, my good friend Leslie and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful 59ºF/13ºC weather (I must have changed....I was wearing a light jacket and a vneck tshirt...WHAT????...anywho) and take a walk along the Seine River. We sat there, eating a snack, legs dangling over the banks, watching tour boats called Bateaux Mouches cruise by. As I sat there dreamily looking around at the beauty of what has become my city, my home. At that moment, I truly felt like a Parisian. It is very hard to put into words how I have changed because of my time in Paris, in a way, if I even tried to put myself into words, I wold only be able to express mere superficial and simple differences. Growth within my personality, and most of all my outlook on life and where I want to go in this world are the real parts of me that Paris has helped me realize throughout this year.


As the tour boats passed by filled with tourists with their cameras desperately trying to capture the beauty around them, a few of them waved at us, casting out a crude version of "Bonjourrrrr!" and this made me smile...I raised my right hand with a peace sign towards them.

The idea of daily life like this really touches me. Simply basking in the sun along the Seine being waved at by tourists made me feel like a true resident of Paris....doing what we do best on a Sunday....lounging around the city, enjoying the sun, a cigarette, and the company of a good friend.

The main differences between my life back in San Diego and my life here in Paris comes down to truly savoring my free time and actually relaxing, valuing our first glimpse of sun, a nice baguette, some wine and just all the details that create the moment. At home I really am the 300km/hour guy, constantly running about, never really taking the time to savor anything. Parisian life has shown me the beauty in taking a stroll, no matter where your destination is, just being out and about for a little jaunt through the city with a good friend. Even after seven months, Paris' beauty never ceases to amaze me.  Another wonderful aspect I love about my life here are the relationships I have made, even the small ones. Going to the same bakery almost everyday buying a baguette or something more indulgent like a strawberry tartlette (to die for!) or a bluecheese & walnut tartlette (oh yes!), the woman at the register asks how I am and knows me as the 'exact change garçon' haha. (basically French people love when you give them the exact total, they will love you for it! haha) or the amazing French friends I have made, the ones that truly got to know 'the international student' and realize that he can connect with them just as a local. I find my life here beautiful. La joie de vivre has really taken root in me, and I hope when I return home, it continues to grow and blossom. Life here has taught me that even an American from busy southern California can learn from the masters of enjoying life. Literally stopping to smell the flowers. Trust me, you should try it and make it a habit.

To sum up "everyday life" here is really quite simple. Everyday life in Paris, in reality is me waking up, looking out my window and saying to myself 'il fait beau aujourd'hui', walking out of my flat, down to the local boulangerie for a bite before class, strolling the streets of Bastille to school, going for lunch, having a glass of wine, talking with good friends, spending some of the happiest moments of this entire year with Mon Christo, watching the sun set over the Île-de-la-Cité, strolling home as the street lights come on, cooking dinner, amazingly memorable wine nights and great conversation, ending the night, falling asleep in the arms of mon amour.



Paris...can never be put on a page in the way it was experienced.

1 comment:

MissMeliss said...

I so enjoyed reading this! Your life truly sounds fabulous as a Parisian and I am so happy for you! xx