17 October 2009

Getting cold..Fall has arrived


So, I'm definitely starting to experience what autumn weather is really like outside of southern California. Last night it hit -2C so about 28F. OMG what the hell is going on? But we were walking around Paris yesterday afternoon and it was just really nice to be able to put on a coat, a big scarf, and see your breath in the air. Fall is my favorite season so I am actually much enjoying this change of weather here. The heat in our dorm is FINALLY on, but quite unpredictable. They are radiators, which is funny, because this is a NEW building. Very odd to me that a new building wouldnt have a central ventilation system. Whatever. Who knows what the French think when building things. But so far nights have been quite comfortable. I like looking out my window and seeing it sprinkling outside and the wind moving the trees. Feels nice. Nights thought are a tad frigged for me. Still not quite used to the extremem temperature difference. -2C is like mountain weather for me! AH! haha. My friends from Canada totally make fun of me because they apparently have 3 feet of snow already (OMG).

As of now, Paris has calmed down significantly. Pretty much all the tourists are gone except for random families taking a trip to Paris for the weekend (mostly other European people). The nice part about all the tourists being gone, all the café waiters and business owners know we actually LIVE in Paris and aren't just here for a tour. Nice feeling =)

Yesterday, a small group of us went out for a day in Paris. Walked around the Opera arrondisement and window shopped, bought random stuff like GLOVES (so cold!), scarfs, Helen got a nice winter jacket, and just all those essentials that we dont really know about with these temperatures. Helen, Johanna, and Gareth are from Sydney Australia so we can all talk and laugh about not understanding this bizarre concept known as winter. HAHA. We get a lot of good laughed at ourselves.



We then headed over to what our day was aimed for, The Monet Museum. It is a small private exhibit in an old bourgeois manor. It was definitely a highlight of my trip so far. Even though it was TINY compared to something like the Louvre or d'Orsay, it marvels in its collection. Mostly Monet works, Degas, Manet, and other impressionists. For me this museum was like free therapy.





The feeling of being lost within the paintings is something that one cannot describe. For me, the world of Monet evokes a certain dreaminess and lucidity that can only relax one's self. Despite the small size of the museum, we spend well over three hours there. Sitting, standing, and mostly starring for what seemed like endlessness at such wonderful works of art. Priceless, is what can be attributed to the museum and the experience we had yesterday. I will definitely be returning when I feel stressed and in need of an escape.

No comments: